• Ersteller jazzygiozzy
  • Erstellt am
J
jazzygiozzy
Registrierter Benutzer
Zuletzt hier
Kekse
Hi Guys,

I'm an italian student of jazz, and probably the next year I'll have the possibility to be hosted by a german conservatory for my Erasmus course.
I have three possible destinations: Hannover, Essen, Leipzig.
Can you tell me wich is for you the best city to study and play jazz?

Thank you very much.

Giordano

Eigenschaft

Hello,

I just saw this thread. I hope it isn't too late :redface:

I can only tell you something about Essen: I've got a few friends studying Jazz in Essen and they are all really really happy. It's a nice city, Folkwang is one of Germany's best addresses for studying music and the whole Ruhr area has some really really good Jazz clubs, Bigbands and other Jazz bands.

I can just advise you to go there :)

Thank you very much! Your answer is very helpful, I relly needed an advice about it. And in general the most "jazzy" city is Berlin I guess (?).
I mean, probably I'm going to emigrate to Germany once finished my conservatory, and I'm trying to make my ideas clear.

Thank you

Yes, Berlin has a huge Jazz scene. And, maybe that's interesting for you, there is probably the best jazz school in Germany. It teaches only Jazz!!

here is the link:

http://www.jazz-institut-berlin.de/

Very good.
Thank you a lot!

I have three possible destinations: Hannover, Essen, Leipzig.
Hi Giordano,

though I haven't studied in Leipzig I have been living in Leipzig for about 11 years: Obviously Leipzig's "Hochschule fuer Musik Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy" teaches jazz and popular music in a very good and useful way. Moreover Leipzig has a jazz scene which is not too big and not too small :great:, musicians in town know each other and know about one's skills and qualities. The scene is creative. There is also an advanced jam session every week in jazzclub "Telegraf". - If you can play your instrument well and have big ears you get the chance to find adequate bands.

There is also a special German festival for skilled jazz newcomers in Leipzig:
http://www.moritzbastei.de/site/programm/jazz_world/article.php?sid=8575
In former times people like Nils Wogram, Celine Rudolph, Nils Wülker or Jens Thomas have played on this festival - back in a time when NOBODY knew them - except for some insiders ;) and the organizers of this festival. So it's a showcase for some upcoming young German jazz musicians.

And: Leipzig (a beautiful town) is in Saxony - Saxonian musicians tend to be more relaxed and friendly than their colleagues in Berlin ;) and Saxonians in general know more about "savoir vivre" :rofl: (Nix für ungut, liebe Berliner ;)...) N.B. I am no Saxonian.

Good luck in your search!
Michael

I lived in Cologne for decades and would recommend it for your goals. It's a very vivid town, full of kind people. Still much more cosy than Berlin, where I also lived for some months years ago.

There is also a seperate department for jazz education with its own academic degrees at the "Hochschule für Musik".
Cologne is a not only a town with many cultural highlight events. You are also surrounded by the remains of its roman roots, of which people there are still proud of. Of course, many notable up to really famous artists live there.

The Arts, Movie production, broadcast, tv and music business play a very prominent role in commerce. Because of the relaxed way of living in Cologne, it's no big deal to get in touch with the media scene.

X Michael
Infact I was told by someone that also Leipzig is a very nice city, and a good place to play some jazz. Thank you for the advice ( and for the informations about Saxonian musicians :D).

X Zonquer
Unfortunately Cologne is not a possible destination at the moment, but I will keep your words in mind. Thank you very much!

Zuletzt bearbeitet: