English zu Deutsch Modern-Musik-Wörterbuch?

von riccaliolio, 13.03.18.

Sponsored by
Gravity Stands
  1. riccaliolio

riccaliolio Registrierter Benutzer

Im Board seit:
    Zuletzt hier:
    Kekse:
    Erstellt: 13.03.18   #1
    Hi, everyone! I saw in the home page that it's encouraged for English speakers to post in English so I hope you don't mind. :-)

I am currently a member of two bands here in Germany, and I am already familiar with very few basic German music words and concepts. These include the parts of the guitar, Dur and Moll, and that H = B and B = Bb. :-)-P) My bands can speak English but sometimes I will tell them to do something - like strum harder, palm-mute, pull-off, hammer-on, slide up/down, make your tone brighter/mellower, etc. - but they would not immediately understand. Since I am already studying the German language, maybe I can try and learn these words first.

So, do you know of any English-to-German dictionaries specifically for modern music terminologies? It would be great if there is something online or in an app, but I don't mind buying a physical book if there is no choice. :-)

Thank you in advance!

gefällt mir nicht mehr 2 Person(en) gefällt das
  2. MrC

MrC Registrierter Benutzer

Im Board seit:
    Kekse:
    Erstellt: 14.03.18   #2
    Hi riccaliolio,

I had to chuckle when I read your initial post since I know this problem very well. Here's what I did:
    - I usually employ dict.leo.org as my standard translation source
    - I started my own glossary (Excel file), but it's far from complete
    - there are some online sources concerning music terminology; my favorite is http://www.notenlehre.com/musiklexikon/index.php with 500+ words

And don't worry: a lot of the English terms should be well known in the German musician community ... e.g., I don't even know if there is a proper translation for "palm muting" or "hammer-on" ... and I'm afraid a proper translation might sound weird or complicated ...

3. riccaliolio

riccaliolio Threadersteller Registrierter Benutzer

Im Board seit:
    Zuletzt hier:
    Kekse:
    Erstellt: 14.03.18   #3
    Is this more reliable than Google Translate? By the way, I recently discovered Linguee and so far I think this is a lot better than Google Translate for single word translations. Linguee includes a distinction between which translated words are more commonly used and which ones are more obscure. They also have example sentences for context usage.

Care to share? Haha! Just kidding.

Alles klar! Danke!

Yes, I noticed this, too. There are just some who I think do not understand me... Or maybe they do not know the techniques in the first place. Haha! :-D

Thanks for the response!

4. stoffl.s

stoffl.s Helpful & Friendly User HFU

Im Board seit:
    Kekse:
    Erstellt: 14.03.18   #4
    Hi, usually I would say most of the terms should be understood, as those terms are used widely untranslated. Similar to the IT world, where the terminology is mostly in English.
    I haven't tried leo.org to translate musical terms, as it is a common dictionary, not a specialized one.

Maybe the best trick, if you want to tell them something and they do not understand: show them what you mean and ask them how they would call it. And regarding each tones: be sure to establish the teminology, especially B, Bb and H, as this can cause the greatest confusion.

Die Seite wird geladen...