Fender Eric Clapton Mid Boost Schaltung modifizieren

• Ersteller Rock80s
  • Erstellt am
Aha, jetzt wird die Sache schon klarer. Dann brauche ich die Sambora gar nicht mehr so dringend. Es könnte höchstens sein, dass da - auf der gleichen Platine - ein paar Bauteilwerte geändert sind. Aber das wäre mir nicht so schrecklich wichtig.

Wer den beschriebenen Umbau macht, der darf nicht vergessen, das 50k-Volumen-Poti gegen ein 250k auszutauschen. Sonst ist der Fender -Twang
futsch.

Die Batterie unter die große Deckplatte zu setzen, wie es der Mann vorschlägt, ist ja wohl nicht die tollste Idee. Da kann man leicht eine halbe
Stunde herumwurschteln, bis man die ausgetauscht hat. Viel besser geht das hinten zwischen den Federn, wenn man die in Position 1, 2 und 5 hängt. Falls die Höhlung nicht tief genau ausgefräst ist, legt man Unterlegscheiben oder passande Pappstreifen unter die Deckplatte.

Viel Erfolg!
Helmuth Lemme
www.gitarrenelektronik.de

Funktioniert der Lemme Mid Boost auch mit 500k/400k potis wenn man an steg einen Humbucker hat?

Fast, aber nur fast...

Auch wenn irgendwelche selbsternannte Experten in dem link von dir die abenteurliche Behauptung aufstellen, die Sambora hätte es auch mit Eschenkorpus gegeben, so muss das noch lange nicht stimmen.

ES STIMMT NICHT! USA-Modelle haben einen Erle-Korpus!!!

Als ich meine damals neu kaufte, meinte ein im Laden zufällig anwesender Experte:
"Tolle Gitarre! Ist ein Sondermodell mit Esche-Korpus."
Ich darauf: "Sieht aber gar nicht aus wie Esche"
Er daraufhin mit unsicherem Blick "Doch doch"...und weg war er.
Der Ladenbesitzer schüttelte nur den Kopf und gab MIR recht....und DER sollte es doch wissen.

Seitdem reagiere ich auf diesen Blödsinn allergisch. Ich habe noch am selben Abend die Saiten gewechselt.
Überall nur ERLE - aber halt sehr dekorativ gemaserte.

Dass eine Sunburst Lackierung mal so, mal so ausfällt ist völlig normal.

Aber du hast auch recht: Das Weiß der MK 1 hieß in der Tat "Arctic White".

Ob Fender deinen Booster beim Service richtig hinbekommen hat, kann ich von hier aus nicht entscheiden.

Da mir diese Farbe bis heute nicht gefällt, habe ich da nicht so Wert drauf gelegt. ;-)

Hast du dir die Bilder vom Body meines Modells mal angesehen? Esche ;-)

Und der selbsternannte Experte, auf welchen ich mich direkt berufen kann, ist wie gesagt Tischler, hat jeden Tag mit Holz zu tun und ist nebenbei auch Gitarrist. DER sollte es doch nun wirklich wissen. Ich sage ja gar nicht, dass das so gewollt war von Fender, ggf. hat man sich vergriffen oder der Esche-Body ist Gott-weiß-warum verwendet worden aus versehen.....

Ich möchte diese leidige Diskussion hier aber endgültig beenden, sei mir nicht böse.

Bezüglich des holzes der Sambora Strat war es so das es tatsächlich Erle war, ABER bei der Cherry burst haben sie auf grund der schöneren Maserung dünne Esche funiere aufgeleimt.

Dann aber nicht durchgehend. Denn ich hatte auch schon welche in der Hand, die "unspektakulär" gemasert waren. Aber interessant, von der Methode zu hören.....

Ich hoffe hier liest noch jemand technik versiertes mit.
Ich habe jetzt die Anleitung für den Umbau des Erik Clapton boost in einen Richie Sambora Boost einmal aufgezeichnet. ( Seite 2 in diesem Thread )

Ist die Zeichnung so richtig oder habe ich irgendwas vergessen/übersehen/falsch gemacht?

Die dünn gestrichelte Line din den 3 Fragezeichen ( ??? ) wäre die Master Volume und Master Tone Verbindung. Ist das so korrekt?

Hoffe das mir da jemand helfen kann :fear:

Beide Bilder sins identisch, nur anders Belichtet. Je nachdem wie ihr es besser erkennen könnt.

Screenshot_20180712-235912_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20180713-000001_Gallery.jpg

Ok - the instructions from me earlier in this thread detail how to convert your clapton PCB to a Sambora PCB. You need to do this first. You'll end up with a PCB with 5 wires as follows.

Red Wire - +9v
Black – Ground
Yellow – Buffer In
Green – Buffer Out
Brown - connected to pad 7.
Violet – Mid Boost Out
Brown – connected to pad 5.

Next you’ll need to physically locate the PCB and battery in the guitar. You may need a pro to route some wells for you. In my strat, I put the PCB in the bucker well, and the battery between the switch and tone pot.

You’ll also need to install a DPDT toggle for the switching. There are other types of switch (rotary etc) – same principle but different wiring needed so check the datasheets. Ill explain the wiring for a standard on-on DPDT toggle.

Now for the guitar wiring. The Sambora guitars have a basic master vol/tone setup. See the link below for reference. Wire you guitar to follow suit. Fit the new (stereo) output jack and boost pot (having removed the existing 2nd tone) that came with your kit – however don’t wire them yet.

Having wired the guitar, the following instructions will allow you to wire in your converted PCB.

First you need to wire the DPDT toggle to switch between the Vol pot output (middle lug), and the output jack. The switch needs to be wired so the midboost circuit is either inserted (between the Vol pot output and the output jack) or completely bypassed. For reference, assuming you were looking at the bottom of the toggle, and gave the switch pins the following numbers...

1 6
2 5
3 4

1 would be YELLOW wire from boost PCB
2 would be middle lug from vol pot
3 would be directly connected to pin 4
4 would (obviously) be directly connected to pin 3
5 would be connected to the output jack hot
6 would be the middle lug from the boost pot

Therefore in one position (pins 1+2 and 6+5 linked), the boost is in (active mode). In the other position (pins 2+3 and 5+4 linked), the guitar is passive.

The remaining wires from the PCB need to be wired as follows...

GREEN this need to go to the CCW lug of the boost pot.
VIOLET this needs to go to the CW lug of the boost pot.
BLACK this needs to connect to the star ground point (back of the vol pot)
RED this obliviously connects to the batt clip.

As for the -ve battery wire (BLACK), you can follow the freely available Clapton wiring diagram as its wired the same i.e. the battery ground is connected to the jack ring.
Therefore with the lead plugged in the battery is on all the time, regardless of active/passive modes, however power consumption is very low.

That’s it. It’s quite a job so keep your wires as short as possible and neat as to avoid noise. You may need to extend/cut wires. Research a good tie technique and use heatshrink to cover any exposed connections. I used 7/0.2 wire for the connections (7 strands with outer diameter of 1.2mm). It sounds think but you need it to wire to those fiddly DPDT toggles. Not sure what the AWG equivalent is.

I hope this helps. Any questions then let me know.

ejm: Have I used this – yes, extensively! I’m a big Sambora fan but could never afford the US “Big Stars” guitar. Therefore I bought the Mex Sambora strat and bought the PCB etc from fender direct in the UK (you could do that back then!). I noted that the wiring diagram referenced “Modified Clapton circuit” – I compared the 2 which is how I know all this.

How’s it sound? Fantastic. You can be playing entirely passive, and then flick on the boost. At 0 you get sparkly cleans, mixing in the boost enhances the mids and gives a nice fat crunch that really drives the amp. The balance between passive/active is a nice step but not overpowering.

If you already use a Clapton circuit, you shouldn’t notice a difference in the "active" sound as your not modifying the tonal properties but merely the switching. However, you will get the benefit of being able to hear your pikcups "naked".
I can’t really compare the 2 guitars as I’ve never played a Clapton; sensors or noiseless! However, the circuit can be modified to active/passive and you’ll have the best of both worlds.

I'll do my best to describe the mods. It may help to download a copy of the Clapton schematic to help visualise it (see link).

The Clapton circuit has 2 sections; a buffer and booster. The volume pot (50K) sits between the buffer and the booster. The boost pot (250KA) mixes between the buffer and buffer&boosted signals.

In the Sambora guitar the buffer and booster are wired in series and are always connected. The entire circuit is then switched in/out i.e. active passive. The circuit is wired between the 5-way switch and vol pot (250KA), and switched via a dpdt push/push switch (true bypass). The Sambora guitar was fitted with TBX and this was wired directly from the 5-way common for master tone.

From memory, here’s how to mod the Clapton PCB to Sambora specs. The mods are completely reversible.

The Clapton PCB has 7 terminals/pads as follows;

1. Red Wire - +9v
2. Black – Ground
3. Yellow – Buffer In
4. Green – Buffer Out ( bei allen PCBs die ich finden konnte ist 4 nicht connected und 5 green)
5. Not connected
6. Violet – Mid Boost Out
7. Brown – Mid Boost In

Cut the brown wire down to 1”. Strip/tin the end and bend the wire round to insert into terminal 5. Solder into place.

Now take a 47Kohm resistor; underneath the PCB solder one end to the Ground pad (2). Position the other end of the resistor to be in the middle of pads 4 and 5 – the aim here is solder the resistor and join pads 4 and 5 together. Trim resistor lead excess as necessary.

In summary, the buffer out and boost in are now connected in series, with a 47Kohm resistor (to ground) between them.

I’m not completely sure on the purpose of the resistor but clearly it replaces the pot within circuit i.e. in the Clapton wiring with the pot on 10 essentially there is a 50K resistance to ground. I assume it merely helps preserves some tonal quality of the circuit in this respect.

Now your finished circuit can be wired into the guitar to select active or passive; for this you’ll a copy of the Original USA Sambora Strat wiring. Unfortunately, for some reason this is not listed in the Fender.com wiring diagrams (??). I do have a copy if you really get stuck, but I’ll need to dig it out and scan it.

Ok also irgebdwas kann an dem Plan nicht stimmen. Der DPDT switch schaltet die gitarre jetzt komplett ab. Also nicht Midboost aktiv/passiv sondern Gitarre an/aus.
Und der Boost geht gar nicht.
Wobei vieleicht wenn der Bosst nicht funktioniert oder irgendwas nicht stimmt geht das aktiv und passiv vieleichtvdoch nur das aktiv dann komplett kurzschliesst.

Vieleicht kommt ja doch noch mal eine kleine hilfe hier im Thread

Unser weiteres Online-Angebot:
Bassic.de · Deejayforum.de · Sequencer.de · Clavio.de · Guitarworld.de · Recording.de

Musiker-Board Logo
Zurück
Oben