I don't like Mondays - Garry Roberts, founding guitarist of The Boomtown Rats, dies aged 72

• Ersteller mix4munich
  • Erstellt am
mix4munich
mix4munich
Helpful & Friendly User
HFU
Zuletzt hier
Kekse
Unsere Helden, sie fallen grade wie die Fliegen... Ich zitiere auszugsweise aus einem Artikel auf Guitar World https://www.guitarworld.com/

Garry Roberts

(Image credit: Gary Wolstenholme/Redferns via Getty Images)

Garry Roberts, founding guitarist of Irish rock outfit The Boomtown Rats, has died aged 72. No cause of death has been announced as of yet. The band’s remaining members – Bob Geldof, Pete Briquette, Simon Crowe, Darren Beale and Alan Dunne – confirm Roberts’ passing. “For fans he was The Legend – and he was. For us he was Gazzer, the guy who summed up the sense of who The Rats are. We have known Garry since we were children and so we feel strangely adrift without him tonight. Safe travels Gaz. Thanks for everything mate.”

Born in Dublin in 1950, Garry Roberts formed his first band with his future Boomtown Rats bandmate Simon Crowe while the pair were still at school, before founding The Boomtown Rats some years later in 1975. It’s said that Roberts was instrumental in deciding upon The Boomtown Rats as a name; the band booked their first gig as The Nightlife Thugs, but Roberts reportedly threatened to quit unless the name was changed.

The Boomtown Rats enjoyed success relatively shortly after their formation, issuing a string of UK Top 40 hits between 1977 and 1980, including two Number Ones: Rat Trap and I Don’t Like Mondays. The band called it quits in 1985 following a performance at Live Aid, but reformed again in 2013, releasing their seventh full-length, Citizens of Boomtown, in 2020.

Roberts worked as a live sound engineer for acts including Simply Red, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and Flesh for Lulu. He also lent his guitar skills to Bob Geldof’s 2011 solo album, How to Compose Popular Songs That Will Sell. Outside of music, the guitarist worked as an independent financial adviser, and later as a central heating engineer.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Interessant
Reaktionen: 2 Benutzer
Sehr schade.
Die Boomtown Rats waren eine Band mit viel Humor und breitem musikalischen Spektrum.
Ich habe sie in den späten 70ern im Zuge der Punk-Bewegung entdeckt und immer wieder gerne gehört.
Rest in Peace, Garry Roberts.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: 1 Benutzer
Boah... grade wirklich keine gute Zeit für die alten Helden.

R.I.P., Garry :cry:

• Gefällt mir
R.I.P., Garry ... und grüße ... :(

• Gefällt mir