[English or Spanish] Thomann Pianos

S
sarasa
Registrierter Benutzer
Zuletzt hier
Kekse
Hi all! I'm sorry, but I cannot have a conversation in dutch...so it would be great if we can talk in english or spanish.

I'm just starting in the piano world and I have been reading about digital pianos since 1 week ago. Finally, I have found this great forum from where I think that I learning a lot.

I'm in Europe and I want to buy my own piano and my budget is tight. So, I'm thinking about buying a Thomann piano but apparently the people is scare about them because they are made in China. I couldn't find any descriptions of any model of a Thomann digital piano from someone who has tried it.

So, I'm looking for stories about these pianos, any model, opinions, etc. I learned that Thomann doesn't make these pianos , but I also learned that they are a really prestigious company in Europe that probably don't want to put their brand in any shit.

I hope you can help me giving me different opinions about this.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Eigenschaft

We do not recommend a no-name piano because of its low quality - NOT because it is produced in China! - For instance, the Korg SP250 is also produced in China - and it is an example of quality. And there are many other examples.

Take a REAL brand like

Kawai - Korg - Yamaha - Roland - Casio - Kurzweil ...

(By the way, I cannot speak dutch either. ;-))

I'm thinking about buy this new one

https://www.thomann.de/be/korg_sp_170_bk.htm

had someone the opportunity to try it?
Probably not, as it was just introduced a week ago (or the one before, I don't remeber) at the NAMM-Show. I suppose the shipment that's to arrive in late February is Thomann's first one.
Anyway, I doubt the Korg will be so bad the "Thomann" could compete with it ;)
You might also want to take a look at the Casio PX-Series, especially the PX130. It's a little more expensive than the SP170, but has a confirmed good quality, at least for a "beginner"-grade digital piano.

I would like to have more money...but it is impossible...

My doubt now is if the price of 500 euros for the SP 170 it is fair or not because in the korg.com you can pre-order it for 500 dollars....

I have no idea how it works, so, my question is, do you think that it is possible that I will find (in the short future) a better price for the sp 170?

Hi sarasa,
I would recommend to play a piano in advance, best not via headphones but through studio monitor speakers. If this is not possible then ensure upfront that you can pass it back to the dealer without cost - unpack, check - decide.
In your case I'd also like to recommend to check for a used digital piano, best one of the brands mentioned above, most probably you'd end up with better qulity (sound and build wise) than with a no name new.
ciao,
Stefan

I would like to have more money...but it is impossible...
So your budget is totally limited to 500€? Then you won't have a real choice anyway, because the SP170 seems to be the only non-crappy DP for that price. The only alternative would be to buy a second-hand DP.

My doubt now is if the price of 500 euros for the SP 170 it is fair or not because in the korg.com you can pre-order it for 500 dollars....
That's totally normal. Instruments almost always are much cheaper in the US than here, but it's no use for us. Even if you imported one, you'd have to pay high-shipping costs, duty, taxes... - and if something breaks, you'd have no chance to call upon the warranty.

I have no idea how it works, so, my question is, do you think that it is possible that I will find (in the short future) a better price for the sp 170?
Probably not. Prices for most kinds of electronic keyboards usually aren't lowered until the next model is announced, at least not in a noteworthy way. You could of course try to bargain for it. Depending on the brand and the model, you can get quite a bit off if you're lucky, although the span is probably smaller for low-priced products...

Maybe some dealer will have an old Casio PX-120 on stock. You might get it for the money you have, but it requires some searching.

Well, thanks to all for so worth advices.

Now, I am really close to make my decision.

klicki. I have found this for 550 euros. Unfortunately I cannot afford it. And I am a kind of confuse but I have read that Korg is in general a better brand than Casio. And I was wondering if I should pay more for an old model? Do you know other places where I can search?
http://www.ukpianos.co.uk/casio-px120.html

Thanks again.

Now, I am really close to make my decision.
You shouldn't - as stefan already said: Never buy a DP without playing it (or at least being able to send it back for free if you don't like it). The fact that the DPs we're talking about aren't crappy does in no way make them your perfect choice. Actually, there can be quite a difference in the sound between two different brands. And I've not yet met anyone who liked all of them ;)

And I am a kind of confuse but I have read that Korg is in general a better brand than Casio.
This might have something to do with the fact that Casio only makes lower-priced products. While Korg has products far beyond the 2000€, the most expensive Casio is about 1500€. And unfortunately with digital keyboards the quality is mostly proportional to the price ;)
However, in the price-range we're talking about, Casio makes good products, just like the others. Not so very good compared to the 2500€-models, but perfectly alright for a 500€ one.

And I was wondering if I should pay more for an old model?
That depends. If you like it more, then yes ;) It's the same thing with used products. Buying them if you are short on money is perfectly right if you like them. If you're lucky, you can find a much better DP for 500€.
Digital pianos don't have such gigantic differences between two generations anymore, so it doesn't really matter if you buy a DP from 2009 or 2007. It's much more important to find one you like, meaning that playing it produces a feeling somewhere between "being at home" and "yeaahhh that's just it!!!".
Sorry for repeating this over and over again, but it can never be emphasized too much!

Edit: Grah, I should add a second check-reading to my posts if they're in english :-[

klicki. I have found this for 550 euros. Unfortunately I cannot afford it.
Drop an Email to the shop that you are willing to pay sum X for the device. That offers an opportunity to get a decent device for a moderate price and still have warranty.

Hahaha! thanks!

I undertand what you mean but taking into account other topics of the life. Unfortunately you are talking with someone that has never played a piano either acoustic or digital. So, I have the sensation that I am so passionated about giving to myself the opportunity of learning music that I won't have a chance to say that I don't like any kind of piano. I have no musician friends here who can try it for me so I am afraid to be tricked by someone with a second-hand piano. That is way I consulting you guys.

So, you are recommending me to wait with the SP 170 until it arrives to the people hands and I am fighting with my anxieties.

Anyway I'm glad of the feedback that you gave.

I saw the Orla too before I made a decision for my PX 330.

I asked a seller for that brand and he tolds me, of course it is a cheap price for a digital piano, but he also tolds me that he dont liked the quality of the product. begans with the keys, and ends with the sound. He didnt had it in stock so he tolds me, I can order it for you, but if you ask me for my opinion, better get a Casio PX 120, the quality is much better.

BTW there is a nice video from the stage player at youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTwrskMZLHM but it was one of the seller from this store who tolds me get the finger off it.

P.S. The people in the Netherlands speak Dutch, we speak German :D

P.S. The people in the Netherlands speak Dutch, we speak German

Sorry about that!!! Now I understand the difference. You are all so close and have so many languages...I'm from Argentina and only Brazilian people have a different language..and well US and Canada but they are reaaaaally far away...

Thanks for the advices

So, I'm here again thinking about buying or not the Korg SP-170....

You know that patience is one of the most important things if you want to play piano?

So be patient, safe your money and wait till you get enough together to get a SP-250, or PX120/130

P.S. I doubt that the people from pianoworld forum have ever heard about an Orla :D

You know that patience is one of the most important things if you want to play piano?

So be patient, safe your money and wait till you get enough together to get a SP-250, or PX120/130
:D

I disagree :). Waiting won't improve your piano skills even one tiny bit and waiting for the perfect deal to come might take forever.

If waiting a month makes all the difference for being able to afford a better DP - okay, wait. If it would take more like half a year - go and get what you can afford today and start practicing.

@LaRate

So you would recommend, better buy crap than wait till you get the money for a good DP?

Sorry,, I disagree.

Of course, he should not wait years, but if you can safe money to get a good piano in 2-3 months. In that case I always would wait!

@LaRate
So you would recommend, better buy crap than wait till you get the money for a good DP?
Sorry,, I disagree.
Of course, he should not wait years, but if you can safe money to get a good piano in 2-3 months. In that case I always would wait!

I did not mean to advise buying crap, but one can get way to obsessive with the "ultimate choice". And yes, maybe waiting 2, 3 or more months is perfectly reasonable, if you fell in love with that particular DP that is just out of your budget right now.

But in his budget area, it would be the only choise - because he is not in the area to compare good against very good. His budget only allows, crap versus good ;)