mixer, preamps ...

• Ersteller pinc666
  • Erstellt am
P
pinc666
Registrierter Benutzer
Zuletzt hier
Kekse
since my German sucks, I'll write things in english(which also sucks, but hey it doesn't suck that much :D)

I'm setting up a studio and I have some problems I have to solve. I've posted all types of different questions on various number of boards and still couldn't get the answers I need :D

1. Is it worth buying a channel strip or an external pre-amp when you use a mixer like Mackie24/8bus - 2995€ ? Should I just use compressors, gates as an insert effect and preamp and eq on the console?
2. What about tube preamps - they sound a lot different then solidstate, is it better to use a tube preamp(ex. when recording distorted guitar thru mic)?
3. Is better to use direct outs or tape outs from an console to alesis hd24 recorder?
4. When the recorded stuff is send on computer via ftp from alesis, with a card like emu 0404 -> cheap but cappable of 24/96khz , are the wavs the same quality as on alesis or does the emu convert them again?? I'm planning to mix everything on the computer, 'cause it's easier :)

ok those are the things that I do not understand quite clearly, hope the get an answer!!!

re,pinc

Eigenschaft

..., hope TO get an answer!!! :)

re,pinc

1. Is it worth buying a channel strip or an external pre-amp when you use a mixer like Mackie24/8bus - 2995€ ? Should I just use compressors, gates as an insert effect and preamp and eq on the console?

. the mackie is quite a good route to go, when you like the typical mackie sound. however, depending on your tastes and future routes, i would recomend getting another couple of good preamps to compliment you sonic range. the last thing you want, is being stuck with just one sound. although this one pre for all sources contributes to an more even and consitently sound of the track. but, forging a track and its sonics is like painting, thus you do not always want everything in the same colors, do you ?
great river, chandler, oder the ever gorgeous avalon 737 come to mind. a good different route would be the amek 9098 eq/mic preamp line, wich just recently dropped in price, thus giving you a decent preamp and a good (better eq section). and get some good outboard eqs und comps. yes. RNC, toft, and the small line of summit audio, also the tl audio ivory line are good and bang for bucks units that make working a board a party.

2.What about tube preamps - they sound a lot different then solidstate, is it better to use a tube preamp(ex. when recording distorted guitar thru mic)?
.tube preamps are great when you like that sound. neve preamps are great when you like the sound, but are full discreat solid state. in the end it comes down to you personal tastes. i personally like tube preamps (and comps and eqs) for warming up signals going into the DAW, and i especially like the low mid end introduced by the tube gear and the 2nd and 3rd order distortion. however, hearing is believing, and you must decide. there is no better, there is just - different, but not more or worse.
3. Is better to use direct outs or tape outs from an console to alesis hd24 recorder?
.always use/prefer direct outs, since those have the shortest internal audio (hopefully ;) route minimizing the chance of audio degeneration. but, also use the sub groups, not only because it s more convinient, but because it makes sense when you have alot of effect and inserts going on indivdual tracks. tape chinch just sucks ;) , but i won't dwell any further into that.
the one thing i like best on the mackie is it s 'party' attribute, whatever you do and the more crazy it gets with the levels, inserts and routing, the more better the board sounds, especially when you hit the levels pretty hard.
as long as you stay in the digital domain, and use the ftp protocol the waves are not touched by the emu. as soon as you have conversion (DA ) via the emu going on, the waves are degenerated.
stay ftp, this is pretty fair.

cheers.

1. yes its worth bying a good channelstrip, especially with a good compressor, like the LA-610. very good preamp with a very good easy-to-use (very helpful) compressor.

a very good and affordable only-compressor ( that i bought myself this week) is the summit tla-50. really really good for that price.....and easy to use!!!

2. every preamp sounds a bit different, important is that it sounds good. my experience is that a good compressor gets you more improvement than a expensive preamp. but a good preamp is of course also very helpful!
a solution is also from summit: summit 2BA-221

3. dont think this is a big difference

4. if you transfer it digitally there is usally no loss in quality. if you do it analog the quality of the converters make the sound, of course.